I’ve lost count of what low FODMAP day this is. Nine or ten I think.
Today I was at a conference for work. I arrived too late for breakfast, so had a cup of Earl Grey tea for the first portion of the day. Lunch was provided by the conference, I had a small salad, deli turkey, roasted potatoes, and some roasted chicken. I’m not certain what was on the roasted chicken, but I did my best to pick low FODMAP selections, and still eat enough to satisfy me for the day. I had an unsweetened tea with lunch, and lots of water through the rest of the day. I also had one pack of Dole Dippers: banana slices covered in dark chocolate (one pack is 4 banana slices) to calm myself down after the Dr. H’s office incident…
For dinner, we had a far more exciting and delicious low FODMAP recipe, inspired by Annie’s Eats Skillet Eggplant Parmesan.
- 2 large eggplants
- Garlic-infused olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Dried Italian seasoning – chose a garlic free mix
- Red pepper flakes
- 1cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 8 oz sliced mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil- I use fresh basil paste in a tube, it keeps longer and is delicious
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices, and spread out on baking sheets, in a single layer.
- Brush eggplant lightly with garlic-infused olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Roast the eggplant for ~30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the eggplant is roasting add garlic-infused olive oil and crushed tomatoes to a pot over medium heat. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and other dried spices, to taste. Let simmer for a few minutes, then add the wine. Let the sauce simmer until the eggplant is done roasting, stirring occasionally.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into a casserole dish.
- Layer half of of the eggplant slices evenly in the pan, so that it is well covered. Add a small amount of fresh basil evenly over the eggplant. Top with half of the Parmesan, and half of the mozzarella.
- Pour remaining sauce over over the eggplant and cheeses.
- Spread the remaining eggplant over the casserole dish, and top with fresh basil the remaining cheese.
- Bake for ~ 30 minutes, or until the cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.